Sunday 26 January 2014

On My Stereo: Flyleaf

It seems within the public eye that rock music - especially heavy rock and metal - and Christianity do not mix. This is something which has annoyed me a lot over the years, because I like rock and heavy metal, but I don't generally like a lot of what such music seems to be about.

Which was why, when I discovered something called white metal, I was overjoyed. Bands such as As I Lay Dying are proper heavy rock (even screamo) and they only sing about Christian themes. It is something which most do not believe possible, but it is, and it is out there if you want to look for it.

My favourite Christian rock band at the moment - whose songs are 'mainstream' within the rock community and are even played on music channels like Kerrang! and Scuzz - is Flyleaf. I've already mentioned one Flyleaf song on this blog, but I got their self-titled debut album for Christmas, and it is phenomenal. The first song, I'm So Sick, was even used in Die Hard 4, and has excellent female screaming in it. (I recognise at this point that to say 'screaming' might sound strange to those outside of such rock circles, but believe me when I say that it's just another method of singing.) They are certainly worth checking out, if you like metal and heavy rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment