Thursday 26 September 2013

On My Stereo

When I was in my (Christian) primary school, I remember there was one assembly that my class had to do about worship music in its various styles. Each group (there were about four groups) had a different style of worship song to talk about. When our teacher told us what we were going to do, we immediately started asking how many genres of music could possibly be that are used for worship. My teacher replied by saying that any genre of music could be used to worship - "even rock music". I particularly remember that there was indignation at this point, for no one in my class thought that you could use rock music to worship. I suppose rock music has a bad reputation, and indeed it is quite hard to find worship music heavier than pop rock. In the case of Building 429 - especially their album Listen to the Sound (which both of these songs are from) - rock music definitely works for worship.

Building 429 - Made For You

This song has one of the best introductions I've heard for a while. It builds up perfectly and is a great karaoke track. This song tells the story (in the first person) of someone realising that to find themselves, they must find themselves in God. It's a great song to sing along to. 

Building 429 - Right Beside You

This song is different to every single worship song I've ever heard, for one simple reason: it is not in the POV of a Christian speaking to God nor the POV of God speaking to us. Instead, it is in the POV of a Christian talking to another Christian. It is one of encouragement, and reminds the listener about how Christians should act towards each other; that we should take care of each other as family.

No comments:

Post a Comment